Lake_Reflection_BW.jpg

EHS Management Blog

27 Mobile Statistics That Will Change the Way You Think About Devices at Work

Today, more people worldwide own a cell phone than a toothbrush, according to the Consumer Technology Association.

With so many people using mobile devices, it's no surprise that businesses are getting on the bandwagon.

Smartphones and tablets are becoming a key way for employees to collaborate, access company information, and get more done. 

If you had any doubts about the value of mobile for your company, here are 27 mobile statistics that will change the way you think about devices at work: 

First, some statistics about mobile usage in general: 

  • There are over 20 billion devices connected to the Internet today -- that's 3 devices for every single person on the planet! [Gartner]
  • The vast majority (95%) of Americans own a cellphone of some kind, and 77% own smartphones. In addition, 53% own tablets. [Pew Center for Research]
  • Mobile has surpassed desktop as the primary way to access the internet. [Comscore]
  • 1 in 5 American adults is a “smartphone-only” internet user – meaning they do not have home broadband service but own a smartphone. [Pew Center for Research]
  • US adults will spend an average of 3 hours, 35 minutes per day on mobile devices in 2018, an annual increase of more than 11 minutes [eMarketer]
  • Apps account for 89% of mobile media time. The other 11% is spent on websites. [Smart Insights]
  • 75% of Americans say they use their smartphones most often to check email. [Fluent]

Employees rely heavily on mobile devices at work

  • Almost all (94%) mobile workers have a smartphone. 41% of mobile workers have a tablet, and an additional 34% intend to purchase a tablet in the next six months. [iPass]
  • 70% of employees keep their phones “within eye contact” at work. [Career Builder]
  • 91% of corporate employees are using at least one mobile app. [Apperian]
  • Nearly a quarter (21%) use dedicated department-specific business apps.  [Digital Strategy Consulting]
  • 71% spend over two hours a week accessing company information on mobile. [Fierce Mobile IT]
  • The average mobile worker works 240 hours a year longer than the general population. [iPass]
  • 91% of mobile workers use their personal downtime to check their smartphones, and more than 60% percent of them sleep with their smartphone.  [iPass]

New call-to-action

Mobile boosts productivity

  • Workers are more productive when they can bring their own device (BYOD), and when workplace mobility is encouraged. [MyCloudIT]
  • 88% of highly engaged employees have control over their workplace. BYOD provides some of that control. [Steelcase]
  • About half (53%) of executives said apps improve business processes and increase productivity. [Apperian]
  • On average, apps boosted worker productivity by 34%. [Digital Strategy Consulting]
  • Among users of department-specific apps, 60% have seen an increase in their personal productivity as a direct result. [Digital Strategy Consulting]

More companies are encouraging employees to use their devices at work

  • 87% of companies expect their employees to use their personal devices for work purposes, and 77% of those companies anticipated that number would increase within a year. [Syntonic]
  • 72% of companies have a bring your own device (BYOD) policy and allow employees to bring their own devices to work. [Tenable]
  • Only 26% of U.S. companies represented provide employees with mobile phones — the lowest number for any country. [Steelcase]
  • 45% of companies employing more than 10,000 people provide apps to at least half of their workforce. [Apperian]
  • 58% of companies are using apps to enable mobile access to critical enterprise systems. [Apperian]
  • 35% are promoting business apps internally or in a company app store [Apperian]
  • 59% of employees think that their organisation has been too slow at delivering apps for the workforce. [Digital Strategy Consulting]
SHARE THIS STORY | |

Search

Recent Posts

Subscribe to Blog